Dødelig udgang efter indtag af æselagurk

Translated title of the contribution: Deadly outcome after ingestion of squirting cucumber

Sanjeewa Patabendige, Jesper Brink Svendsen, Jan Dominik Kampmann

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

Abstract

In this case report, an 83-year-old woman with dementia was admitted to hospital with vomiting and diarrhoea. Her medical history included dementia, atrial fibrillation and seizures. She had accidentally ingested a kind of “fruit”, which was used as part of a flower decoration in her room. When admitted, she was in hypovolaemic shock and hypoxic. The ingested “fruit” was identified as squirting cucumber: Ecballium elaterium, which is known to cause vomiting and diarrhea, according to the Danish poison centre. The patient’s condition deteriorated despite intravenously given fluid and antibiotic treatment for a suspected aspiration pneumonia. She died two hours after admission.
Translated title of the contributionDeadly outcome after ingestion of squirting cucumber
Original languageDanish
Article numberV01190051
JournalUgeskrift for Laeger
Volume181
Issue number3
ISSN0041-5782
Publication statusPublished - 2020

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Deadly outcome after ingestion of squirting cucumber'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this