Uptake of inorganic phosphorus by the aquatic plant Isoetes australis inhabiting oligotrophic vernal rock pools

Nina Høj Christiansen, Cristina Pulido Pérez, Ole Pedersen, Timothy Colmer, Frede Østergaard Andersen, Henning S. Jensen, Dennis Konnerup

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Resumé

The submerged aquatic freshwater macrophyte Isoetes australis S. Williams grows in rock pools situated in south-western Australia, an environment where dissolved inorganic phosphorus (Pi) availability possibly limits growth. In contrast to the two coexisting aquatic species, Glossostigma drummundii and Crassula natans, I. australis did not form relationships with mycorrhiza. Pi uptake kinetics were determined for I. australis in experiments using radioactive 33Pi. Roots had a higher Pi affinity (lower Km) than leaves, but roots also had a lower Vmax, which is discussed in relation to the low ambient Pi concentrations. I. australis showed morphological adaptation which could relate to the low Pi environment by having approximately twice as much root tissue as leaf tissue (by dry mass), facilitating access to the higher P pools in the sediment compared with the shallow water column. A short-term translocation experiment revealed high amounts of Pi translocation internally in the plant which seemed to go from roots and oldest leaves to younger leaves. As a result of the high root to shoot ratio, high surface area, root uptake kinetics, and sediment Pi availability, roots accounted for 87% of plant Pi uptake and the green parts of the leaves for about the remaining 13%. As a result the estimated P budget for the rock pools showed that the surface water had a Pi turnover of about 1.5 days, whereas the porewater Pi pool was renewed about 10 times per day to satisfy the P requirements of I. australis.
OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftAquatic Botany
Vol/bind138
Sider (fra-til)64-73
ISSN0304-3770
DOI
StatusUdgivet - 2017

Fingeraftryk

Isoetes
rock pool
inorganic phosphorus
aquatic plant
aquatic plants
rocks
uptake mechanisms
leaves
translocation
Crassula
kinetics
sediments
dissolved inorganic phosphorus
root shoot ratio
mycorrhizae
mycorrhiza
South Australia
Western Australia
macrophyte
surface area

Citer dette

Christiansen, Nina Høj ; Pulido Pérez, Cristina ; Pedersen, Ole ; Colmer, Timothy ; Andersen, Frede Østergaard ; Jensen, Henning S. ; Konnerup, Dennis. / Uptake of inorganic phosphorus by the aquatic plant Isoetes australis inhabiting oligotrophic vernal rock pools. I: Aquatic Botany. 2017 ; Bind 138. s. 64-73.
@article{ed1b8d71c74a40ee8a1df5d4f7e272c9,
title = "Uptake of inorganic phosphorus by the aquatic plant Isoetes australis inhabiting oligotrophic vernal rock pools",
abstract = "The submerged aquatic freshwater macrophyte Isoetes australis S. Williams grows in rock pools situated in south-western Australia, an environment where dissolved inorganic phosphorus (Pi) availability possibly limits growth. In contrast to the two coexisting aquatic species, Glossostigma drummundii and Crassula natans, I. australis did not form relationships with mycorrhiza. Pi uptake kinetics were determined for I. australis in experiments using radioactive 33Pi. Roots had a higher Pi affinity (lower Km) than leaves, but roots also had a lower Vmax, which is discussed in relation to the low ambient Pi concentrations. I. australis showed morphological adaptation which could relate to the low Pi environment by having approximately twice as much root tissue as leaf tissue (by dry mass), facilitating access to the higher P pools in the sediment compared with the shallow water column. A short-term translocation experiment revealed high amounts of Pi translocation internally in the plant which seemed to go from roots and oldest leaves to younger leaves. As a result of the high root to shoot ratio, high surface area, root uptake kinetics, and sediment Pi availability, roots accounted for 87{\%} of plant Pi uptake and the green parts of the leaves for about the remaining 13{\%}. As a result the estimated P budget for the rock pools showed that the surface water had a Pi turnover of about 1.5 days, whereas the porewater Pi pool was renewed about 10 times per day to satisfy the P requirements of I. australis.",
author = "Christiansen, {Nina H{\o}j} and {Pulido P{\'e}rez}, Cristina and Ole Pedersen and Timothy Colmer and Andersen, {Frede {\O}stergaard} and Jensen, {Henning S.} and Dennis Konnerup",
year = "2017",
doi = "10.1016/j.aquabot.2017.01.004",
language = "English",
volume = "138",
pages = "64--73",
journal = "Aquatic Botany",
issn = "0304-3770",
publisher = "Elsevier",

}

Uptake of inorganic phosphorus by the aquatic plant Isoetes australis inhabiting oligotrophic vernal rock pools. / Christiansen, Nina Høj; Pulido Pérez, Cristina; Pedersen, Ole; Colmer, Timothy; Andersen, Frede Østergaard; Jensen, Henning S.; Konnerup, Dennis.

I: Aquatic Botany, Bind 138, 2017, s. 64-73.

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Uptake of inorganic phosphorus by the aquatic plant Isoetes australis inhabiting oligotrophic vernal rock pools

AU - Christiansen, Nina Høj

AU - Pulido Pérez, Cristina

AU - Pedersen, Ole

AU - Colmer, Timothy

AU - Andersen, Frede Østergaard

AU - Jensen, Henning S.

AU - Konnerup, Dennis

PY - 2017

Y1 - 2017

N2 - The submerged aquatic freshwater macrophyte Isoetes australis S. Williams grows in rock pools situated in south-western Australia, an environment where dissolved inorganic phosphorus (Pi) availability possibly limits growth. In contrast to the two coexisting aquatic species, Glossostigma drummundii and Crassula natans, I. australis did not form relationships with mycorrhiza. Pi uptake kinetics were determined for I. australis in experiments using radioactive 33Pi. Roots had a higher Pi affinity (lower Km) than leaves, but roots also had a lower Vmax, which is discussed in relation to the low ambient Pi concentrations. I. australis showed morphological adaptation which could relate to the low Pi environment by having approximately twice as much root tissue as leaf tissue (by dry mass), facilitating access to the higher P pools in the sediment compared with the shallow water column. A short-term translocation experiment revealed high amounts of Pi translocation internally in the plant which seemed to go from roots and oldest leaves to younger leaves. As a result of the high root to shoot ratio, high surface area, root uptake kinetics, and sediment Pi availability, roots accounted for 87% of plant Pi uptake and the green parts of the leaves for about the remaining 13%. As a result the estimated P budget for the rock pools showed that the surface water had a Pi turnover of about 1.5 days, whereas the porewater Pi pool was renewed about 10 times per day to satisfy the P requirements of I. australis.

AB - The submerged aquatic freshwater macrophyte Isoetes australis S. Williams grows in rock pools situated in south-western Australia, an environment where dissolved inorganic phosphorus (Pi) availability possibly limits growth. In contrast to the two coexisting aquatic species, Glossostigma drummundii and Crassula natans, I. australis did not form relationships with mycorrhiza. Pi uptake kinetics were determined for I. australis in experiments using radioactive 33Pi. Roots had a higher Pi affinity (lower Km) than leaves, but roots also had a lower Vmax, which is discussed in relation to the low ambient Pi concentrations. I. australis showed morphological adaptation which could relate to the low Pi environment by having approximately twice as much root tissue as leaf tissue (by dry mass), facilitating access to the higher P pools in the sediment compared with the shallow water column. A short-term translocation experiment revealed high amounts of Pi translocation internally in the plant which seemed to go from roots and oldest leaves to younger leaves. As a result of the high root to shoot ratio, high surface area, root uptake kinetics, and sediment Pi availability, roots accounted for 87% of plant Pi uptake and the green parts of the leaves for about the remaining 13%. As a result the estimated P budget for the rock pools showed that the surface water had a Pi turnover of about 1.5 days, whereas the porewater Pi pool was renewed about 10 times per day to satisfy the P requirements of I. australis.

U2 - 10.1016/j.aquabot.2017.01.004

DO - 10.1016/j.aquabot.2017.01.004

M3 - Journal article

VL - 138

SP - 64

EP - 73

JO - Aquatic Botany

JF - Aquatic Botany

SN - 0304-3770

ER -