Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy

L Johannsen, T Smith, A M Havsager, C Madsen, Lone Marianne Juel Kjeldsen, N J Dalsgaard, D Gaist, H D Schrøder, S H Sindrup

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Resumé

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic yield and to describe the spectrum of diagnosis encountered by evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy.

METHODS: We prospectively evaluated 198 patients referred to a department of neurology with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy. The evaluation included nerve conduction studies with near-nerve technique, quantitative examination of temperature sensation, blood tests, chest x-rays, and skin biopsies as well as diagnostic tests for differential diagnoses.

RESULTS: Polyneuropathy was found in 147 patients, alternative diagnoses in 25, and 26 remained undiagnosed. The etiology of polyneuropathy could not be identified in 25% of the patients with polyneuropathy. In the remaining 75%, the cause of neuropathy was diabetes and/or alcohol abuse (41%), monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (5%), drugs (5%), connective tissue disease (3%), and a number of less frequent conditions. A previously undiagnosed condition was found in 30% of the patients with polyneuropathy.

CONCLUSION: Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy reveals a high fraction of patients with previously undiagnosed conditions both in patients ending up with a polyneuropathy diagnosis and those without this diagnosis.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftJournal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease
Vol/bind3
Udgave nummer2
Sider (fra-til)47-52
ISSN1522-0443
StatusUdgivet - 2001

Fingeraftryk

Connective Tissue Diseases
Neurology
Routine Diagnostic Tests
Alcoholism
Differential Diagnosis
X-Rays
Pharmaceutical Preparations

Citer dette

@article{fea4d120ba9511dc9626000ea68e967b,
title = "Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy",
abstract = "OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic yield and to describe the spectrum of diagnosis encountered by evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy.METHODS: We prospectively evaluated 198 patients referred to a department of neurology with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy. The evaluation included nerve conduction studies with near-nerve technique, quantitative examination of temperature sensation, blood tests, chest x-rays, and skin biopsies as well as diagnostic tests for differential diagnoses.RESULTS: Polyneuropathy was found in 147 patients, alternative diagnoses in 25, and 26 remained undiagnosed. The etiology of polyneuropathy could not be identified in 25{\%} of the patients with polyneuropathy. In the remaining 75{\%}, the cause of neuropathy was diabetes and/or alcohol abuse (41{\%}), monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (5{\%}), drugs (5{\%}), connective tissue disease (3{\%}), and a number of less frequent conditions. A previously undiagnosed condition was found in 30{\%} of the patients with polyneuropathy.CONCLUSION: Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy reveals a high fraction of patients with previously undiagnosed conditions both in patients ending up with a polyneuropathy diagnosis and those without this diagnosis.",
author = "L Johannsen and T Smith and Havsager, {A M} and C Madsen and Kjeldsen, {Lone Marianne Juel} and Dalsgaard, {N J} and D Gaist and Schr{\o}der, {H D} and Sindrup, {S H}",
year = "2001",
language = "English",
volume = "3",
pages = "47--52",
journal = "Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease",
issn = "1522-0443",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams & Wilkins",
number = "2",

}

Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy. / Johannsen, L; Smith, T; Havsager, A M; Madsen, C; Kjeldsen, Lone Marianne Juel; Dalsgaard, N J; Gaist, D; Schrøder, H D; Sindrup, S H.

I: Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease, Bind 3, Nr. 2, 2001, s. 47-52.

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy

AU - Johannsen, L

AU - Smith, T

AU - Havsager, A M

AU - Madsen, C

AU - Kjeldsen, Lone Marianne Juel

AU - Dalsgaard, N J

AU - Gaist, D

AU - Schrøder, H D

AU - Sindrup, S H

PY - 2001

Y1 - 2001

N2 - OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic yield and to describe the spectrum of diagnosis encountered by evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy.METHODS: We prospectively evaluated 198 patients referred to a department of neurology with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy. The evaluation included nerve conduction studies with near-nerve technique, quantitative examination of temperature sensation, blood tests, chest x-rays, and skin biopsies as well as diagnostic tests for differential diagnoses.RESULTS: Polyneuropathy was found in 147 patients, alternative diagnoses in 25, and 26 remained undiagnosed. The etiology of polyneuropathy could not be identified in 25% of the patients with polyneuropathy. In the remaining 75%, the cause of neuropathy was diabetes and/or alcohol abuse (41%), monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (5%), drugs (5%), connective tissue disease (3%), and a number of less frequent conditions. A previously undiagnosed condition was found in 30% of the patients with polyneuropathy.CONCLUSION: Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy reveals a high fraction of patients with previously undiagnosed conditions both in patients ending up with a polyneuropathy diagnosis and those without this diagnosis.

AB - OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic yield and to describe the spectrum of diagnosis encountered by evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of chronic polyneuropathy.METHODS: We prospectively evaluated 198 patients referred to a department of neurology with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy. The evaluation included nerve conduction studies with near-nerve technique, quantitative examination of temperature sensation, blood tests, chest x-rays, and skin biopsies as well as diagnostic tests for differential diagnoses.RESULTS: Polyneuropathy was found in 147 patients, alternative diagnoses in 25, and 26 remained undiagnosed. The etiology of polyneuropathy could not be identified in 25% of the patients with polyneuropathy. In the remaining 75%, the cause of neuropathy was diabetes and/or alcohol abuse (41%), monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (5%), drugs (5%), connective tissue disease (3%), and a number of less frequent conditions. A previously undiagnosed condition was found in 30% of the patients with polyneuropathy.CONCLUSION: Evaluation of patients with symptoms suggestive of polyneuropathy reveals a high fraction of patients with previously undiagnosed conditions both in patients ending up with a polyneuropathy diagnosis and those without this diagnosis.

M3 - Journal article

VL - 3

SP - 47

EP - 52

JO - Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease

JF - Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease

SN - 1522-0443

IS - 2

ER -