Comparison of laparoscopic and classic appendectomy at clinical hospital center rijeka over a ten year period

Harry Grbas, Damir Grebić*, Ante Jerković, Damir Karlović, Ana Marija Tomašić, Marijana Rinčić Antulov

*Kontaktforfatter for dette arbejde

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Abstrakt

BACKGROUND: The aim of this paper was to compare laparoscopic and classic appendectomy over a ten-year period to the complications and recovery rate of patients. METHODS: in the period from the beginning of 2007 to the end of 2016, a total of 1480 patients with laparoscopic approach and 1220 patients with classic approach (including 65 patients converted to open appendectomy - 2.4%) were operated at Clinical hospital Center rijeka, Croatia. 43% (1161 patients) of the total number of patients were female and the remaining were men (1539 patients, 57%). RESULTS: Out of 1480 patients with laparoscopic approach, 212 (14%) had peritonitis due to perforated appendicitis, compared to 193 (16%) among 1220 patients with classic approach. among the laparoscopic appendectomies there were 242 (16%) gangrenous appendicitis without perforation, and 220 (18%) among the classic appendectomies. Other patients had acute phlegmonous appendicitis. Postoperative wound infection was the most common complication in 83 (5.6%) patients operated by laparoscopic approach and in 105 (8.6%) of classic operated patients. Postoperative hematoma of the wound had 25 (2%) of the classic operated patients versus 4 patients (0.2%) operated by laparoscopic approach. Douglas abscess had 92 (7.5%) of the classic operated patients, and 42 (2.8%) of the patients operated by laparoscopic surgery. The average duration of hospitalization in laparoscopic operated patients was two days, in the classic operated three days. CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic appendectomy is a less invasive operation with shorter recovery time, minor complications, and faster early onset of per os nutrition and return to everyday life.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftChirurgia (Turin)
Vol/bind33
Udgave nummer2
Sider (fra-til)84-88
Antal sider5
ISSN0394-9508
DOI
StatusUdgivet - 1. jan. 2020
Udgivet eksterntJa

Fingeraftryk Dyk ned i forskningsemnerne om 'Comparison of laparoscopic and classic appendectomy at clinical hospital center rijeka over a ten year period'. Sammen danner de et unikt fingeraftryk.

Citationsformater