An outpatient regimen of combined oral mifepristone 400 mg and misoprostol 400 microg for first-trimester legal medical abortion

Pernille Ravn, Ase Rasmussen, Ulla Breth Knudsen, Frank Vous Kristiansen

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Resumé

AIM: To evaluate the success rate of medical abortion using an outpatient regimen of oral mifepristone 400 mg and oral misoprostol 400 microg for legal abortion in women < 56 days pregnant.

METHODS: Successful abortion was defined as an endometrial thickness < 20 mm evaluated by transvaginal ultrasound and minimal vaginal bleeding at a control examination performed 14 days after administration of misoprostol. Over a 6-month period in 2003, a questionnaire (completion rate 70%) was used for a spot check of the patients' evaluation of the method.

RESULTS: Six hundred and sixty women underwent the procedure over a 3-year period and 606 (92%) experienced successful medical abortion. The remaining 8% had vacuum aspiration performed mainly due to uterine retention (70%). Other reasons were vaginal bleeding (25%), vomiting (2%), or pelvic infection (4%). Most women reported no days with severe pain (67%), 0--1 days with moderate pain (82%), and 0--1 days with light pain (62%). In terms of gastrointestinal side effects, 68% reported nausea, 33% vomiting, and 27% diarrhea. Most women (90%) felt that the information given at the hospital prior to the abortion was sufficient, 74% would prefer medical abortion again in case of a future unwanted pregnancy, and 85% would prefer to abort at home again.

CONCLUSION: A high acceptance and success rate was seen using this outpatient oral regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftActa Obstetrica et Gynecologica
Vol/bind84
Udgave nummer11
Sider (fra-til)1098-102
Antal sider5
ISSN0001-6349
DOI
StatusUdgivet - nov. 2005

Fingeraftryk

Legal Abortion
Misoprostol
Mifepristone
First Pregnancy Trimester
Outpatients
Unwanted Pregnancies
Vacuum

Citer dette

@article{e2799caef94a4773993df24bfd4492a0,
title = "An outpatient regimen of combined oral mifepristone 400 mg and misoprostol 400 microg for first-trimester legal medical abortion",
abstract = "AIM: To evaluate the success rate of medical abortion using an outpatient regimen of oral mifepristone 400 mg and oral misoprostol 400 microg for legal abortion in women < 56 days pregnant.METHODS: Successful abortion was defined as an endometrial thickness < 20 mm evaluated by transvaginal ultrasound and minimal vaginal bleeding at a control examination performed 14 days after administration of misoprostol. Over a 6-month period in 2003, a questionnaire (completion rate 70{\%}) was used for a spot check of the patients' evaluation of the method.RESULTS: Six hundred and sixty women underwent the procedure over a 3-year period and 606 (92{\%}) experienced successful medical abortion. The remaining 8{\%} had vacuum aspiration performed mainly due to uterine retention (70{\%}). Other reasons were vaginal bleeding (25{\%}), vomiting (2{\%}), or pelvic infection (4{\%}). Most women reported no days with severe pain (67{\%}), 0--1 days with moderate pain (82{\%}), and 0--1 days with light pain (62{\%}). In terms of gastrointestinal side effects, 68{\%} reported nausea, 33{\%} vomiting, and 27{\%} diarrhea. Most women (90{\%}) felt that the information given at the hospital prior to the abortion was sufficient, 74{\%} would prefer medical abortion again in case of a future unwanted pregnancy, and 85{\%} would prefer to abort at home again.CONCLUSION: A high acceptance and success rate was seen using this outpatient oral regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol.",
keywords = "Abortifacient Agents, Nonsteroidal, Abortion, Induced, Administration, Oral, Female, Follow-Up Studies, Gestational Age, Humans, Mifepristone, Misoprostol, Pain, Pregnancy, Pregnancy Trimester, First, Questionnaires, Time Factors, Treatment Outcome",
author = "Pernille Ravn and Ase Rasmussen and Knudsen, {Ulla Breth} and Kristiansen, {Frank Vous}",
year = "2005",
month = "11",
doi = "10.1111/j.0001-6349.2005.00868.x",
language = "English",
volume = "84",
pages = "1098--102",
journal = "Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica",
issn = "0001-6349",
publisher = "GrupoSaned",
number = "11",

}

An outpatient regimen of combined oral mifepristone 400 mg and misoprostol 400 microg for first-trimester legal medical abortion. / Ravn, Pernille; Rasmussen, Ase; Knudsen, Ulla Breth; Kristiansen, Frank Vous.

I: Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica, Bind 84, Nr. 11, 11.2005, s. 1098-102.

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

TY - JOUR

T1 - An outpatient regimen of combined oral mifepristone 400 mg and misoprostol 400 microg for first-trimester legal medical abortion

AU - Ravn, Pernille

AU - Rasmussen, Ase

AU - Knudsen, Ulla Breth

AU - Kristiansen, Frank Vous

PY - 2005/11

Y1 - 2005/11

N2 - AIM: To evaluate the success rate of medical abortion using an outpatient regimen of oral mifepristone 400 mg and oral misoprostol 400 microg for legal abortion in women < 56 days pregnant.METHODS: Successful abortion was defined as an endometrial thickness < 20 mm evaluated by transvaginal ultrasound and minimal vaginal bleeding at a control examination performed 14 days after administration of misoprostol. Over a 6-month period in 2003, a questionnaire (completion rate 70%) was used for a spot check of the patients' evaluation of the method.RESULTS: Six hundred and sixty women underwent the procedure over a 3-year period and 606 (92%) experienced successful medical abortion. The remaining 8% had vacuum aspiration performed mainly due to uterine retention (70%). Other reasons were vaginal bleeding (25%), vomiting (2%), or pelvic infection (4%). Most women reported no days with severe pain (67%), 0--1 days with moderate pain (82%), and 0--1 days with light pain (62%). In terms of gastrointestinal side effects, 68% reported nausea, 33% vomiting, and 27% diarrhea. Most women (90%) felt that the information given at the hospital prior to the abortion was sufficient, 74% would prefer medical abortion again in case of a future unwanted pregnancy, and 85% would prefer to abort at home again.CONCLUSION: A high acceptance and success rate was seen using this outpatient oral regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol.

AB - AIM: To evaluate the success rate of medical abortion using an outpatient regimen of oral mifepristone 400 mg and oral misoprostol 400 microg for legal abortion in women < 56 days pregnant.METHODS: Successful abortion was defined as an endometrial thickness < 20 mm evaluated by transvaginal ultrasound and minimal vaginal bleeding at a control examination performed 14 days after administration of misoprostol. Over a 6-month period in 2003, a questionnaire (completion rate 70%) was used for a spot check of the patients' evaluation of the method.RESULTS: Six hundred and sixty women underwent the procedure over a 3-year period and 606 (92%) experienced successful medical abortion. The remaining 8% had vacuum aspiration performed mainly due to uterine retention (70%). Other reasons were vaginal bleeding (25%), vomiting (2%), or pelvic infection (4%). Most women reported no days with severe pain (67%), 0--1 days with moderate pain (82%), and 0--1 days with light pain (62%). In terms of gastrointestinal side effects, 68% reported nausea, 33% vomiting, and 27% diarrhea. Most women (90%) felt that the information given at the hospital prior to the abortion was sufficient, 74% would prefer medical abortion again in case of a future unwanted pregnancy, and 85% would prefer to abort at home again.CONCLUSION: A high acceptance and success rate was seen using this outpatient oral regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol.

KW - Abortifacient Agents, Nonsteroidal

KW - Abortion, Induced

KW - Administration, Oral

KW - Female

KW - Follow-Up Studies

KW - Gestational Age

KW - Humans

KW - Mifepristone

KW - Misoprostol

KW - Pain

KW - Pregnancy

KW - Pregnancy Trimester, First

KW - Questionnaires

KW - Time Factors

KW - Treatment Outcome

U2 - 10.1111/j.0001-6349.2005.00868.x

DO - 10.1111/j.0001-6349.2005.00868.x

M3 - Journal article

VL - 84

SP - 1098

EP - 1102

JO - Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica

JF - Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica

SN - 0001-6349

IS - 11

ER -