Aim. To investigate if acamprosate interacts with OAT1 by measuring the concentration-dependent effect of acamprosate on the uptake of [14C]-p-aminohippuric acid ([14C]-PAH), a well-established substrate of OAT1 (4).
Method. The apical uptake of 0.5 μCi/mL [14C]-PAH was measured for 5 minutes at 37°C and 100 rpm in the presence of 0 – 33 000 μM acamprosate in human embryonic kidney (HEK)293 cells transiently expressing OAT1 (Corning TransportoCells OAT1), or in a HEK293-Flp-in cell line stably expressing OAT1 (developed in-house). The uptake was in both series measured in parallel in mock-transfected HEK293 cells grown under similar cell culture conditions.
Results. A significant, time-dependent and saturable increase of [14C]-PAH apical uptake was observed in the OAT1-transfected HEK293 cells compared to mock-transfected cells. The apical uptake of [14C]-PAH in OAT1-transfected cells was decreased in the presence of acamprosate in a concentration-dependent manner, while no effect of acamprosate was observed in the mock-transfected cells. The mean (+/- SD) inhibition constant for [14C]-PAH uptake (IC50) was 1 042 ± 134 and 902 ± 20 μM in the transiently (n=3) and stably transfected (N=3, n=2) HEK293-OAT1 cells, respectively.
Conclusion. Acamprosate inhibits OAT1 in vitro at concentrations close to the maximum unbound plasma concentration of acamprosate, cmax = 154-768 μM (5), obtained after intravenous administration [333-2130 mg].
1. Nigam SK, Bush KT, Martovetsky G, Ahn SY, Liu HC, Richard E, et al. The organic anion transporter (OAT) family: a systems biology perspective. Physiol Rev. 2015;95(1):83-123.
2. Zornoza T, Guerri C, Polache A, Granero L. Disposition of acamprosate in the rat: influence of probenecid. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2002;23(7):283-91.
3. Wright SH, Dantzler WH. Molecular and cellular physiology of renal organic cation and anion transport. Physiol Rev. 2004;84(3):987-1049.
4. FDA. In Vitro Metabolism and Transporter-Mediated Drug-Drug Interaction Studies - Guidance for Industry. In: CDER, editor. Silver Spring, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2017. p. 1-37.
5. Approval package for application number 21-431: Campral clinical pharmacology and biopharmaceutics review: Center for drug evaluation and research; 2004 [cited 2018 08 13]. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2004/21-431_Campral_BioPharmr.pdf.
|Publikationsdato||14. jan. 2019|
|Status||Udgivet - 14. jan. 2019|
|Begivenhed||Nordic POP 1st Annual Meeting - Holmenkollen, Oslo, Norge|
Varighed: 14. jan. 2019 → 16. jan. 2019
|Konference||Nordic POP 1st Annual Meeting|
|Periode||14/01/2019 → 16/01/2019|